Sunday, August 31, 2014

Blog Assignment #2

I believe that in the Mr. Dancealot movie the central idea is that teaching dance does not work in a class room and with power points. It is a class where you have to be active 99 percent of the time. The author made this case by showing them try to take an exam on the information and not having a clue about any of the dances because they where not able to physically do the dances on there own. I definitely agree with his conclusion because a dance class is suppose to be hands on. Nobody can learn how to dance by just sitting in a chair and watching someone else do it.

MR. DANCEALOT VIDEO


This is a picture of two people showing a dance move




Robert's video, Teaching in the 21st Century, tells us all the different ways teaching has evolved. It is no longer the students getting the facts and information from the teacher alone. Now with smartphones, iPads, and laptops students have access to the internet to look up anything and everything, whenever they want. With the click of a button students can now learn what teachers are teaching them in the classroom. That will not keep students engaged too long. Like Robert's says, we need to engage the students, not entertain them. We as students and educators need to be taught skills. We need to let it be known that the technologies in the class room is fine, but we need to learn the ways of working it and succeeding in school through the technologies. This video has really shown me the ways teaching in the classroom has changed and how different it will soon be in all classrooms. I believe that Robert's makes really good points. We need to teach them skills and professionalism. I believe that we should take advantage of all the technology surrounding us.


After watching The Networked Students by Wendy Drexler, I learned about so many resources I had never heard of before. I do agree that a "networked student" in the 21st century will, in fact, still need a teacher. The teachers job will be to teach the student how to take the information they have found, store it, and use it properly.


I think this is problem my favorite video that I have watched so far and it was only less than five minutes long. I believe that the thesis of this video is that you do not have to know everything to be effective in teaching. The teacher is just like the student and learning new things as well. I actually love her argument. I think students and teachers should learn from one another and it should not just be a one way street.


The movie Who's ahead in the learning race is very interesting to me. I honestly believe that because we are different generations is the reason they seem to be ahead of the technology curve. We have to learn all the new technology just like they do and that is how it is going to be for the next generations to come.


Before watching Flipping the Classroom, I have never ben introduced to this new method of "flipping the classroom". I believe flipping the class room would be beneficial towards both the students and the teacher as well. Personally, as a student I do tend to lose focus on the teacher during instruction. It would be beneficial to students to have instruction on video, that way they could replay the video if needed. Being a step ahead is always a good step. Flipping the classroom would allow students to already be one step ahead and prepared for class in advance. Like the vides mentions, if students already have an idea of what is going on a day ahead of time then students will have more class time available to collaborate. Teachers would benefit from this method because they will gain more time in class to interact with students, instead of just standing in the front of the classroom giving instructions. I am completely for this idea and I hope to use this method in my future classroom.







2 comments:

  1. So you will flip! Many of your classmates think this would be a bad idea. Of course they have never tried it!

    Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica,

    I really love the idea you had about flipping the class. I think its a very interesting concept and Id be interested in learning more about it. I love the idea you suggested of having classroom instruction on video so that the students could replay it. I too can get very bored in a class when the teacher is not so interactive. As far as the learning race goes, I really think we are further behind. Only because students are being taught this every day and we are just now being introduced to it in college. I really agree with you in the idea that the 21st century student will still need a teacher. Many schools are going at a rate that almost everything is online. I agree with you that teachers will serve more as a guide rather than teaching them how to use the technology but rather at how to better themselves in it and use it towards their education.

    Great post!
    -Jennifer

    ReplyDelete