Sunday, September 14, 2014

Blog Assignment #4

First I think that as a teacher we should never use the question "Do you understand?" when standing in front of the class. That is a question worth asking when you are one on one with the students. Mainly because a student isn't going to raise their hand and say no they don't understand most of the time because of embarrassment. A easy way of fixing this is to simply do a pop quiz to see who really does know the information.

Second As a teacher I would always end my class asking if anyone had any questions. Better yet I would ask that all throughout the class and I have always had the idea of having my students write down any questions they had. Then turning them in 20 minutes before class was over and answering them before class. Maybe even on the next day. I don't know how that would go but I like the sound of it.

The last one that I think I would do as a teacher is always ask open ended questions. An open ended question is a question that has a more detailed answer than yes or no. It helps the students really understand the subject and it helps the teacher see what level the students are on.

THE RIGHT WAY TO ASK QUESTIONS

This is a teacher at a black board

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica! I love that you said you would ask open ended questions as a teacher because I think that can do nothing but stimulate discussion and benefit everyone. I also agree that teachers should not ask if the class understands because that does put kids on the spot and is not a very inviting question as it sounds like everyone as a whole should already understand. I think a technique you could use instead of asking that would to be to engage the class in a class discussion or to have them write about the subject to help them retain the information. I would love to hear some other creative techniques also!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Jessica, be sure and watch all the videos provided and read all the assigned articles. This could help give you more ideas to write about. Your blog post writing is good, but brief. Also, be sure and add in links to the sources you are referring to! Good job at adding in a picture :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jessica! I definitely agree with you about not asking the question "Do you understand?" in front of the classroom. I'm sure at some point we will all do this but we will basically be wasting our time. In all my years of being a student it was very rare that someone would ask a question. I think your suggestion of a pop quiz or having them write their questions down is definitely a good start. As future educators, it is vital for us to constantly come up with better solutions for old and new problems. After all, it is our job to think, adapt, and teach these children the best way possible.

    Callie Barton

    ReplyDelete