Sunday, September 21, 2014

Blog Post #5

What are Personal Leaning Networks?

According to Google personal learning networks are:
(PLN's) are a cost-effective means for educators to grow professionally. Each PLN is crafted and personalized based on the professional interests and goals of an individual educator. This is a FREE means of professional development available 24/7 from anywhere

How can they help you as a teacher?
I do believe a PLN will effectively help me not only as a teacher, but now as a student. I have a difficult time keeping all my work organized and I think this will help me keep up with things so much better. Having a PLN will create a place for me to gather ideas for my future classroom, find people that have "been there and done that" where I can ask questions, or just like Michael Fawcett said in his video just become friends with your friends, friends and watch there conversations an learn from them. It may develop help with my professional development and knowledge.

How can you create your own PLN?
I would create mine by using twitter more effectively. Dr. Strange said that it helps him a lot, so I will give it another shot. I will also use my Facebook. I can create a certain group of people on my Facebook that are strictly educators or fellow classmates. I think the Symbaloo will be a useful tool that I will use also. In the video A 7th Graders Personal Learning Environment seemed to be a easy way to have a PLN also, I think if she can do something of that nature I can to. She made it seem so easy. Pinterest is another social network that I would use. You can create a Particular section that you can pin just teacher ideas in. I find pinterest to be really helpful when finding ideas for projects or classroom activity.

Who will be the first additions to your PLN?

My family would be the first to be added to my PLN. I have a lot of family members that are fellow teachers near our area. I can use them for help or questions whenever I want to. I will also add any teachers that I come across in my time in school, like Dr. Strange or the lab assistants. My classmates will be someone good to have in my PLN because not only are they learning to but we are learning the same things, so we can help each other. I would also like to extend my PLN world to people that I do not know yet. People that may be across the world or in a different state. Getting to know other people and how they do things might help me understand different ways of learning and teaching.

This is a picture of lockers

PERSONAL LEARNING NETWORKS

3 comments:

  1. Hi Jessica! I can agree with you on your blog post. Upon reading what a PLN was, I gathered more information on how to set up mine as well. I do think that all teachers should have a PLN because it's basically like a big support center for them. I can't think of a better way for teachers to stay connected all over the world. Teachers can also attend conferences located anywhere without leaving where they are. A good site that I found to be helpful in setting up my PLN was symbaloo.com. Make sure that when you use " I " in your post to capitalize them. Other than that, good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jessica! I agree with your comment about the PLN is like a personal locker. I call it my personal assistant/organizer. I love how I can keep the materials and websites I use all in one place. I will be using symbaloo as my PLN. I really like it and look forward to learning more about PLNs in the future.
    Also, I think it is a great tool for teaching also... I can definitely see myself using this as a teacher. I know that as a teacher I will be busy and a PLN will help me be organized and keep in touch with other teachers across the countries (which can help improve my teaching methods if needed).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have failed to capitalize I five times in this post.

    "Personal Learning Networks is basically a journal …" No, not a journal. A PLN is a collection of people and tools that can help you as an educator, as a learner.

    "... the Blog Insturctions for…" Instructions, not Insturctions

    ReplyDelete