Sunday, October 12, 2014

Blog Post #8

In RANDY LAST LECTURE, there were a few points about teaching and learning that stood out to me. I thought Randy made a great point when he was talking about his football career as a boy. He stated that people who care about you are the ones who critique you the most. If your coach or teacher stops critiquing you then they have stopped caring about whether you succeed or not. This is something I should keep in mind when learning new things. When a teacher or coach critiques me I should know that they are doing it because they care. Randy also states that if you get angry with someone, don't stay mad, give them time. I realize when I become a teacher, I will have many days when my students and work may frustrate or overwhelm me. It will be important for me to remember Randy's lecture during those times. I will step back, take a breath, and give things time instead of getting upset.

Randy talks about when he gave his students a two week assignment, and they came back with amazing projects that blew him away. He then was unsure what to do because the student's work was so good, so he called his mentor and got advice. He was told to challenge his students even more than before. As a teacher I can learn from this. I will always know that my students are capable of more than I think, so it is important to keep challenging them. This way my students will not be restrained to only learn certain materials, they will go above and beyond to learn more and more. Throughout Randy's lecture he greatly refers to how his students impressed him through his teaching career. He used project based learning and gave his students lots of freedom when working on projects. I think that is what being a teacher is all about. Teachers are suppose to be impressed by their students and their work. It is so important as a teacher, to be proud of your students.Randy used project based learning and gave his students lots of freedom when working on projects. He explained that students learn the most when they are doing something fun. They can learn the most difficult things when they are unaware that they are actually learning.

2 comments:

  1. There are no limits by which students learn. We as educators must learn to adapt and grow with them. Challenging them is a major task that we must face. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Teachers are suppose to be …" supposed, not suppose

    Thoughtful.

    ReplyDelete